What is involved in Information technology operations
Find out what the related areas are that Information technology operations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Information technology operations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Information technology operations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Information technology operations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Information technology operations related domains to cover and 154 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Information technology operations, Configuration management database, Continuous delivery, Continuous integration, Database administrator, Event monitoring, Help desk, IT asset management, IT governance, IT infrastructure, IT service management, Information technology, Infrastructure as Code, Issue tracking system, Maintenance, repair and operations, Network administrator, Network switch, On call shift, Operations management, Software build, Software deployment, Software development process, Software release life cycle, Software testing, System administrator, Technical support, Test automation:
Information technology operations Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Information technology operations quality and document what potential Information technology operations megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Information technology operations with what users do day-to-day?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Information technology operations Management?
– Which Information technology operations goals are the most important?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Study Configuration management database planning and raise human resource and employment practices for Configuration management database.
– A Configuration Management database (cmdb) can contain different configuration items (cis). Which items would not normally be regarded as a ci?
– Monitoring tools for wired networks do not provide the full array of features necessary for monitoring wlans. true or false?
– Which of the itil processes is responsible for ensuring the organization is aware of new and changing technology?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Application sizing is a technique used by capacity management. why is application sizing important?
– The words delta, full and package describe different types of release. Which ones do we use when?
– Which processes other than incident management are involved in achieving a structural solution ?
– What elements are to be tracked and reported for baselines and changes?
– Which is the correct combination of concepts and itil processes?
– What: selection of configuration items (what should be managed?
– Are there design changes associated with the proposed change?
– What are valid performance indicators for the service desk?
– What is the difference between a problem and a known error?
– How is information to be collected, stored and reported?
– Was the technical review adequately performed?
– If yes, has the usq review been completed?
– Is the change necessary, and if so, why?
– Is Information technology operations Required?
– How does it relate to itil?
– Why a service desk?
Continuous delivery Critical Criteria:
Talk about Continuous delivery governance and look in other fields.
– A competitive edge, excellent. Focus on continuous delivery. Move on to continuous deployment because that is going to provide your business value. But look at your individual business. Look at your environment and say is that what gives us the competitive edge?
– Does your organization run a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
– What about Information technology operations Analysis of results?
– Why are Information technology operations skills important?
– How to deal with Information technology operations Changes?
– Does your organization hope to achieve continuous delivery?
Continuous integration Critical Criteria:
Canvass Continuous integration management and forecast involvement of future Continuous integration projects in development.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Information technology operations processes?
– What are all of our Information technology operations domains and what do they do?
– Will Information technology operations deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Will we use Continuous Integration?
Database administrator Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Database administrator risks and secure Database administrator creativity.
– What are current Information technology operations Paradigms?
Event monitoring Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Event monitoring outcomes and find out.
– Do you have log/event monitoring solutions in place today?
– What are our Information technology operations Processes?
Help desk Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Help desk strategies and don’t overlook the obvious.
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Information technology operations requirements in detail?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– What are the barriers to increased Information technology operations production?
– What features of the current help desk service management tool are being used?
– How has the current help desk service management tool been customized?
– Do we know the number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– What is the current help desk service management tool and version?
– Help desk password resets easily measured (specific number?
– How will the offeror provide support through the help desk?
– Number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– How does the help desk authenticate callers?
IT asset management Critical Criteria:
Track IT asset management outcomes and probe using an integrated framework to make sure IT asset management is getting what it needs.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Information technology operations moving forward?
– What are our key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– Are you managing the business side of asset management to maximize the assets you own?
– What are the key differences for us between asset management and Service Management?
– What happens with your retired or disposed of assets?
– Are we prepared to respond to a software audit?
– How are employees affected by the cm process?
– Who can authorize and approve changes?
– What is the condition of the asset?
– What is currently being used/done?
– Why investigate other systems?
– How about your mobile assets?
– Which assets need managing?
– Why do it asset management?
– Why create a it am system?
– How do we manage changes?
– Who can initiate changes?
– What is an itam program?
– What is an it asset?
– What are it assets?
IT governance Critical Criteria:
Prioritize IT governance quality and visualize why should people listen to you regarding IT governance.
– Policy compliance is closely related to IT governance. Compliance has much to do with defining, controlling and governing security efforts. How should an organization respond to security events?
– Among the Information technology operations product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Is Information technology operations dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– what is the difference between data governance and it governance?
– What are specific Information technology operations Rules to follow?
IT infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Experiment with IT infrastructure visions and report on the economics of relationships managing IT infrastructure and constraints.
– Can we achieve even more efficient utilization of software and hardware within mission systems and IT infrastructure investments?
– Do we monitor the Information technology operations decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What IT infrastructure do we have and what do we need to support the future organization needs?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– Is Information technology operations Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Jump start IT service management results and cater for concise IT service management education.
– While you can hire consultants to help alleviate the resource crunch for the project, who gets to run them after the consultants leave?
– What other departments, besides IT, use service catalog as a means of publishing their services in your organization?
– Are we getting a handle on project initiation-related risks, which is all about are we doing the right things?
– Are we getting a handle on project initiation-related risks which is all about are we doing the right things?
– How do you actually go about identifying, defining and then managing a set of services that make sense?
– In your organization, which group oversees or coordinates your it service management capabilities?
– What are the key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– What are the use cases that your organization is targeting currently for its cmdb/cms?
– What should be easier after implementing a good IT Service Management software tool?
– Have both the Customer and the Service Owner agreed to the terms of the SLA?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Why would a customer be interested in a particular product or service?
– Have all basic functions of Information technology operations been defined?
– Are you thinking about implementing ITIL standards based tools?
– Why is it Service Management important to cloud providers?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– What does a disaster recovery plan look like?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– How is it integrated?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Probe Information technology projects and describe which business rules are needed as Information technology interface.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Information technology operations into the services that we provide?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Information technology operations ?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Information technology operations activities?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Infrastructure as Code Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Infrastructure as Code management and mentor Infrastructure as Code customer orientation.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Information technology operations project?
Issue tracking system Critical Criteria:
Derive from Issue tracking system strategies and find out.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Information technology operations?
Maintenance, repair and operations Critical Criteria:
Design Maintenance, repair and operations results and budget for Maintenance, repair and operations challenges.
– In what ways are Information technology operations vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Information technology operations process?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Network administrator engagements and check on ways to get started with Network administrator.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– In a project to restructure Information technology operations outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Who needs to know about Information technology operations ?
– How much does Information technology operations help?
Network switch Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Network switch risks and display thorough understanding of the Network switch process.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Information technology operations objectives?
– Who sets the Information technology operations standards?
On call shift Critical Criteria:
Canvass On call shift adoptions and revise understanding of On call shift architectures.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Information technology operations workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Information technology operations?
Operations management Critical Criteria:
Analyze Operations management outcomes and check on ways to get started with Operations management.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Information technology operations goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Is there a Information technology operations Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What are the most important capabilities we consider when evaluating asset and Service Management providers?
– Do we have a high level of process automation connecting our asset and Service Management?
– What vendors make products that address the Information technology operations needs?
– Do you have a single view into it Service Management?
– Is our company developing its Human Resources?
Software build Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Software build management and intervene in Software build processes and leadership.
– How will you measure your Information technology operations effectiveness?
Software deployment Critical Criteria:
Focus on Software deployment adoptions and catalog what business benefits will Software deployment goals deliver if achieved.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Information technology operations that make it risky?
– Who will provide the final approval of Information technology operations deliverables?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Guide Software development process governance and look at it backwards.
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Information technology operations forward?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Information technology operations activities?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Analyze Software release life cycle outcomes and prioritize challenges of Software release life cycle.
– Does Information technology operations analysis show the relationships among important Information technology operations factors?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Software testing goals and maintain Software testing for success.
– What are the key elements of your Information technology operations performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
System administrator Critical Criteria:
Graph System administrator quality and devise System administrator key steps.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– Does our organization need more Information technology operations education?
– Are there Information technology operations Models?
– Who is the System Administrator?
Technical support Critical Criteria:
Guard Technical support management and define what do we need to start doing with Technical support.
– What alternatives do the vendors offer for contacting technical support (e.g., email, telephone, online chat, and web-based reporting)?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Information technology operations, including any consulting or professional services?
– If technical support services are included, what is the vendors commitment to timely response?
Test automation Critical Criteria:
Design Test automation risks and find out what it really means.
– Can we add value to the current Information technology operations decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Information technology operations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Configuration management database External links:
ITIL Configuration Management Database | CMDB …
Continuous delivery External links:
Continuous Delivery – DevOn
What is Continuous Delivery? – Continuous Delivery
GoCD – Open Source Continuous Delivery and Automation …
Continuous integration External links:
Continuous Integration How-To – developer.force.com
[PDF]Continuous integration for BI – SQLSaturday
Database administrator External links:
[PDF]CLASS TITLE: DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR – …
Database Administrator – WFG National Title Insurance …
Database Administrator (DBA) Salary
Event monitoring External links:
Historical Radiological Event Monitoring | RadNet | US EPA
Florida Cardiac Event Monitoring Services – Cardio Options
ECG Scanning Cardiac Event Monitoring and Holter Monitoring
Help desk External links:
ND University System Help Desk | NDUS CTS
Help Desk – Helpdesk Software Login
IT asset management External links:
Flexera – IT Asset Management, Software Monetization, …
Electronics Recycling & IT Asset Management | METech Recycling
IT Asset Management & Electronics Recycling Solutions – ECS
IT governance External links:
IT Governance Indonesia (ITGID) – Home Page | ISACA …
Sr. IT Governance Analyst Jobs in Charlotte, NC – Apex …
IT Governance Site | Washington State University
IT infrastructure External links:
http://The term infrastructure in an information technology (IT) context refers to an enterprise’s entire collection of hardware, software, networks, data centers, facilities and related equipment used to develop, test, operate, monitor, manage and/or support information technology services.
IT Infrastructure Services | Accenture
Chef – Automate IT Infrastructure | Chef
IT service management External links:
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
ServiceAide: ITSM Tools – IT Service Management …
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Infrastructure as Code External links:
Infrastructure as Code | Simple
What is Infrastructure as Code? | DevOps – Visual Studio
Meet Infrastructure as Code – DevOps.com
Issue tracking system External links:
Log in – MicroPact Issue Tracking System
System Dashboard – Lionbridge Issue Tracking System
issue tracking system – Wiktionary
Maintenance, repair and operations External links:
Maintenance, Repair and Operations | Weiler
Network administrator External links:
Manpower Group is Hiring Network Administrator – …
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org › jobs › systems/networking
Computer and Network Administrator Degree | Remington College
Network Administrator MCITP-SA – SLCC
Network switch External links:
Raymarine HS5 SeaTalkhs Network Switch
On call shift External links:
On call shift – Revolvy
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/On call shift
Operations management External links:
Operations management (Book, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
Software build External links:
The term build may refer to the process by which source code is converted into a stand-alone form that can be run on a computer or to the form itself. One of the most important steps of a software build is the compilation process, where source code files are converted into executable code.
Software deployment External links:
Software Deployment Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
WPKG | Open Source Software Deployment and Distribution
[PDF]Automating Software Deployment – New York University
Software development process External links:
Software Development Process Flashcards | Quizlet
What is Google’s software development process? – Quora
Software release life cycle External links:
7011FI-1.xRelease.pdf | Software Release Life Cycle | Bit
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
Software testing External links:
Independent Software Testing Company QAwerk. …
Software Testing Certification Information – ASTQB …
Software Testing, Monitoring, Developer Tools | SmartBear
System administrator External links:
system administrator jobs in San Jose, CA | Dice.com
System Administrator Jobs – Monster.com
System Administrator – Joink
Technical support External links:
Life Fitness Technical Support – Welcome
Comcast Customer Service – XFINITY® Technical Support
KBS Coatings Support Forum – Technical Support
Test automation External links:
LEAPTEST Codeless Test Automation
Test Automation – AbeBooks