What is involved in 10G-PON
Find out what the related areas are that 10G-PON connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a 10G-PON thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its 10G-PON journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward 10G-PON leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which 10G-PON related domains to cover and 146 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
10G-PON, Access network, Beam splitter, Broadband Internet access, Business continuity, Cellular Backhaul Unit, Cellular network, Cloud computing, Computer network, Customer-premises equipment, Dark fiber, Demarcation point, Distribution frame, Fiber-optic communication, Fiber to the premises by country, Fibre-to-the-cell site, Fibre to the x, Hybrid fiber-coaxial, Internet access, Last mile, M1 Limited, Next generation access, Nielsen’s law, On-premises wiring, Optical Distribution Network, Optical Line Terminal, Optical Network Terminal, Optical fibre, Optical network unit, Optical splitter, Osi model, Outside plant, Passive Optical Network, Plain old telephone service, Point to multipoint, Residential gateway, Single mode, Telephone exchange, Time-division multiple access, Triple play, Video conferencing, Virtual private network, Wavelength-division multiplexing:
10G-PON Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase 10G-PON projects and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging 10G-PON.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of 10G-PON product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Is there any existing 10G-PON governance structure?
– What are the business goals 10G-PON is aiming to achieve?
Access network Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Access network tasks and optimize Access network leadership as a key to advancement.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in 10G-PON?
– Are assumptions made in 10G-PON stated explicitly?
– Are we Assessing 10G-PON and Risk?
Beam splitter Critical Criteria:
Add value to Beam splitter failures and look for lots of ideas.
– Who sets the 10G-PON standards?
– What are current 10G-PON Paradigms?
– How do we keep improving 10G-PON?
Broadband Internet access Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Broadband Internet access projects and point out improvements in Broadband Internet access.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once 10G-PON is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How do we measure improved 10G-PON service perception, and satisfaction?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing 10G-PON?
Business continuity Critical Criteria:
Depict Business continuity visions and achieve a single Business continuity view and bringing data together.
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– We should have adequate and well-tested disaster recovery and business resumption plans for all major systems and have remote facilities to limit the effect of disruptive events. Do we comply?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Do you have a written business continuity/disaster recovery plan that includes procedures to be followed in the event of a disruptive computer incident?
– Can we add value to the current 10G-PON decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does our business continuity and/or disaster recovery plan (bcp/drp) address the timely recovery of its it functions in the event of a disaster?
– Do our business continuity andor disaster recovery plan (bcp/drp) address the timely recovery of our it functions in the event of a disaster?
– What programs/projects/departments/groups have some or all responsibility for business continuity/Risk Management/organizational resilience?
– How will management prepare employees for a disaster, reduce the overall risks, and shorten the recovery window?
– Will 10G-PON have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How does our business continuity plan differ from a disaster recovery plan?
– To what extent does management recognize 10G-PON as a tool to increase the results?
– Has business continuity thinking and planning become too formulaic?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a 10G-PON study?
– What is business continuity planning and why is it important?
– Do you have any DR/business continuity plans in place?
– Do you have a tested IT disaster recovery plan?
Cellular Backhaul Unit Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Cellular Backhaul Unit projects and interpret which customers can’t participate in Cellular Backhaul Unit because they lack skills.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that 10G-PON objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Does 10G-PON systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Is maximizing 10G-PON protection the same as minimizing 10G-PON loss?
Cellular network Critical Criteria:
Probe Cellular network adoptions and assess what counts with Cellular network that we are not counting.
– How would one define 10G-PON leadership?
– What are our 10G-PON Processes?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Confer re Cloud computing planning and tour deciding if Cloud computing progress is made.
– Well-defined, appropriate concepts of the technology are in widespread use, the technology may have been in use for many years, a formal mathematical model is defined, etc.)?
– How can we create a secure environment to protect our data, especially when new business models like cloud computing and mobility leave us with little control over it?
– What impact has emerging technology (e.g., cloud computing, virtualization and mobile computing) had on your companys ITRM program over the past 12 months?
– Which cloud computing characteristic enables consumers to get computing resources without any human intervention?
– Is it more economical to move my existing datacenter-hosted service to the cloud, or to keep it in a datacenter?
– Have you considered that incident detection and response can be more complicated in a cloud-based environment?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further and enable saas adoption?
– What is the security gap between private cloud cloud computing versus client server computing architectures?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– Recoverability: how will the service provider respond to disasters and ensure continued service?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– How will cloud computing affect traditional recovery services?
– Is there any recourses about cloud computing performance?
– Networks that are flexible, well-performing, and secure?
– What are the benefits of cloud computing to consumers?
– What is the first priority cloud security concern?
– Is there a good pricing model for cloud services?
– How is cloud computing related to web analytics?
– What percent of the market will not use cloud?
– Can we accelerate DevOps with Hybrid Cloud?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Chart Computer network engagements and remodel and develop an effective Computer network strategy.
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– What business benefits will 10G-PON goals deliver if achieved?
– Which 10G-PON goals are the most important?
Customer-premises equipment Critical Criteria:
Adapt Customer-premises equipment leadership and explain and analyze the challenges of Customer-premises equipment.
– Which customers cant participate in our 10G-PON domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What are the disruptive 10G-PON technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How can you negotiate 10G-PON successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Dark fiber Critical Criteria:
Refer to Dark fiber tasks and reduce Dark fiber costs.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a 10G-PON strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once 10G-PON is underway?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate 10G-PON delivery for example is new software needed?
Demarcation point Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Demarcation point planning and pioneer acquisition of Demarcation point systems.
– What are our best practices for minimizing 10G-PON project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the 10G-PON project lifecycle?
Distribution frame Critical Criteria:
Examine Distribution frame visions and figure out ways to motivate other Distribution frame users.
– How do we ensure that implementations of 10G-PON products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Think of your 10G-PON project. what are the main functions?
Fiber-optic communication Critical Criteria:
Value Fiber-optic communication tasks and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Fiber-optic communication projects.
– What are the barriers to increased 10G-PON production?
Fiber to the premises by country Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Fiber to the premises by country goals and report on setting up Fiber to the premises by country without losing ground.
– What are our needs in relation to 10G-PON skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Are there 10G-PON Models?
– Is 10G-PON Required?
Fibre-to-the-cell site Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Fibre-to-the-cell site failures and figure out ways to motivate other Fibre-to-the-cell site users.
– How do your measurements capture actionable 10G-PON information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if 10G-PON does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Fibre to the x Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Fibre to the x strategies and prioritize challenges of Fibre to the x.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as 10G-PON leaders?
– Do 10G-PON rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Hybrid fiber-coaxial Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Hybrid fiber-coaxial decisions and forecast involvement of future Hybrid fiber-coaxial projects in development.
– In the case of a 10G-PON project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a 10G-PON project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any 10G-PON project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Can we do 10G-PON without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What threat is 10G-PON addressing?
Internet access Critical Criteria:
Review Internet access decisions and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding 10G-PON?
– Who needs to know about 10G-PON ?
Last mile Critical Criteria:
Deduce Last mile tactics and reduce Last mile costs.
– How do we know that any 10G-PON analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What are the long-term 10G-PON goals?
– What is the last mile connectioin?
M1 Limited Critical Criteria:
Infer M1 Limited leadership and explore and align the progress in M1 Limited.
– Consider your own 10G-PON project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How will you know that the 10G-PON project has been successful?
– What are the usability implications of 10G-PON actions?
Next generation access Critical Criteria:
Test Next generation access quality and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Next generation access is getting what it needs.
– What potential environmental factors impact the 10G-PON effort?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your 10G-PON activities?
– How to Secure 10G-PON?
Nielsen’s law Critical Criteria:
Mix Nielsen’s law results and know what your objective is.
– How do we Identify specific 10G-PON investment and emerging trends?
– What is Effective 10G-PON?
On-premises wiring Critical Criteria:
Talk about On-premises wiring results and describe which business rules are needed as On-premises wiring interface.
– For your 10G-PON project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
Optical Distribution Network Critical Criteria:
Deduce Optical Distribution Network strategies and adjust implementation of Optical Distribution Network.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether 10G-PON goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Optical Line Terminal Critical Criteria:
Unify Optical Line Terminal engagements and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Optical Line Terminal information.
Optical Network Terminal Critical Criteria:
Investigate Optical Network Terminal failures and track iterative Optical Network Terminal results.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good 10G-PON project manager?
– How is the value delivered by 10G-PON being measured?
Optical fibre Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Optical fibre decisions and acquire concise Optical fibre education.
Optical network unit Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Optical network unit outcomes and catalog Optical network unit activities.
– What management system can we use to leverage the 10G-PON experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a 10G-PON project?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its 10G-PON processes?
Optical splitter Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Optical splitter planning and define Optical splitter competency-based leadership.
Osi model Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Osi model decisions and document what potential Osi model megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How can skill-level changes improve 10G-PON?
– Do we have past 10G-PON Successes?
Outside plant Critical Criteria:
Confer over Outside plant issues and get the big picture.
– What will drive 10G-PON change?
– Is a 10G-PON Team Work effort in place?
Passive Optical Network Critical Criteria:
Study Passive Optical Network governance and point out improvements in Passive Optical Network.
– In a project to restructure 10G-PON outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic 10G-PON objectives?
Plain old telephone service Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Plain old telephone service outcomes and improve Plain old telephone service service perception.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your 10G-PON project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the 10G-PON process?
– How do we go about Comparing 10G-PON approaches/solutions?
Point to multipoint Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Point to multipoint engagements and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Point to multipoint.
– Does 10G-PON analysis show the relationships among important 10G-PON factors?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom 10G-PON project?
Residential gateway Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Residential gateway projects and separate what are the business goals Residential gateway is aiming to achieve.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to 10G-PON? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What is the purpose of 10G-PON in relation to the mission?
Single mode Critical Criteria:
Analyze Single mode goals and assess and formulate effective operational and Single mode strategies.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your 10G-PON strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What is the source of the strategies for 10G-PON strengthening and reform?
Telephone exchange Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Telephone exchange projects and spearhead techniques for implementing Telephone exchange.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing 10G-PON? There might be some that are less obvious?
Time-division multiple access Critical Criteria:
Design Time-division multiple access quality and sort Time-division multiple access activities.
– How to deal with 10G-PON Changes?
Triple play Critical Criteria:
Map Triple play decisions and question.
– Does our organization need more 10G-PON education?
Video conferencing Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Video conferencing engagements and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Video conferencing.
– Think about the people you identified for your 10G-PON project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about 10G-PON. How do we gain traction?
– Does 10G-PON create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Virtual private network Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Virtual private network results and change contexts.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a 10G-PON process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the 10G-PON process available?
– How can the value of 10G-PON be defined?
Wavelength-division multiplexing Critical Criteria:
Depict Wavelength-division multiplexing planning and balance specific methods for improving Wavelength-division multiplexing results.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of 10G-PON activities?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the 10G-PON Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
10G-PON External links:
http://10G-PON (also known as XG-PON) is a 2010 computer networking standard for data links, capable of delivering shared Internet access rates up to 10 Gbit/s (gigabits per second) over existing dark fiber. This is the ITU-T’s next generation standard following on from G-PON or Gigabit-capable PON.
10G-PON – Gartner IT Glossary
Access network External links:
All Partners Access Network – Official Site
Patient Access Network Provider Portal
S.C.A.N. Home – Security Central Access Network
Beam splitter External links:
Khet 2.0 – Beam Splitter Expansion Pack – YouTube
Optical Beamsplitters – Beamsplitter – Beam Splitter
Beam Splitter | Greiner Industries
Broadband Internet access External links:
Broadband Internet Access Services — Pine Belt Communications
Town Hall On Broadband Internet Access, September 19, …
Business continuity External links:
Fusion Risk Management – Business Continuity Software
Login – Business Continuity Office
Cellular Backhaul Unit External links:
Cellular Backhaul Unit Topics – Revolvy
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Cellular Backhaul Unit&stype=topics
CBU (cellular backhaul unit) :: ITWissen.info
Cellular network External links:
Performance Issues of Cellular Networks
Check your cellular network coverage | Pod Trackers
Cellular network | Verizon Community
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Cloud Computing | Oracle
Computer network External links:
What is a Computer Network? Webopedia Definition
Dark fiber External links:
Title: Dark Fiber – techsoc.com
Requirements for Leased Dark Fiber – Schools and …
What is Dark Fiber? Webopedia Definition
Demarcation point External links:
What is the demarcation point? – MetrolineDirect.com
What is a Demarcation Point? – Definition from Techopedia
http://In telephony, the demarcation point is the point at which the public switched telephone network ends and connects with the customer’s on-premises wiring. It is the dividing line which determines who is responsible for installation and maintenance of wiring and equipment—customer/subscriber, or telephone company/provider. The demarcation point varies between countries and has changed over time.
Distribution frame External links:
[PDF]Preconfigured Industrial Distribution Frame – …
Distribution frame. – TELEPHONE CABLES LTD
Fiber to the premises by country External links:
Fiber to the premises by country explained
Fiber to the premises by country – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
Fiber to the premises by country – Revolvy
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Fiber to the premises by country
Fibre to the x External links:
Fibre to the X (FTTX) | Selsor
Hybrid fiber-coaxial External links:
HFC (Hybrid Fiber-Coaxial) | Multicom
Internet access External links:
Internet Access – Dial-Up and DSL Internet Service – NetZero
DISA Multi-Host Internet Access Portal
DISA Multi-Host Internet Access Portal
Last mile External links:
The Last Mile (1959) – Overview – TCM.com
David Baldacci The Last Mile (Amos Decker #2)
Last Mile, Signed – AbeBooks
M1 Limited External links:
Jobs at M1 Limited | Indeed.com.sg
M1 Limited – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
[PDF]M1 LIMITED Reg. No. 199206031W PART 1: FOR …
Next generation access External links:
Saviynt- Next Generation Access Governance & …
Nielsen’s law External links:
Nielsen’s Law of Internet Bandwidth | Hacker News
Nielsen’s Law of Internet Bandwidth – Nielsen Norman …
On-premises wiring External links:
Horizon Electronics | On-Premises Wiring
Optical Distribution Network External links:
Optical Distribution Network Function, Structure – …
ODN abbreviation stands for Optical Distribution Network
Intelligent optical distribution network (iODN) – YouTube
Optical Line Terminal External links:
UF-OLT UFiber GPON Optical Line Terminal by Ubiquiti …
[PDF]8-Port GPON Optical Line Terminal with SFP+
Televes Televes Optical Line Terminal – OLT512
Optical Network Terminal External links:
OPTICAL NETWORK TERMINAL, METHOD FOR …
Optical network terminal – Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Tellabs | Tellabs Optical Network Terminal (ONT)
Optical network unit External links:
ONU – Optical Network Unit setup | GEPON technology – …
GPON Optical Network Unit with 1-port GbE LAN – ZyXEL
Optical Network Unit (ONU) | Light Reading
Optical splitter External links:
Optical Splitter | eBay
Amazon.com: Optical Splitter: Home Audio & Theater
Osi model External links:
Troubleshooting Along the OSI Model – Pearson IT …
The OSI Model’s Seven Layers Defined and Functions …
The OSI model Flashcards | Quizlet
Outside plant External links:
[PDF]Outside Plant Copper Cables – Priority Wire & Cable
Outside plant handbook (Book, 2008) [WorldCat.org]
Phoenix Loss Control – Outside Plant Damage Recovery
Passive Optical Network External links:
[PDF]Passive Optical Networks: Passive Optical Networks: …
Plain old telephone service External links:
What is POTS | Plain Old Telephone Service
POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) – Tech-FAQ
Single mode External links:
Single Mode Optical Fiber – Thorlabs
Telephone exchange External links:
Contact Us – Steelville Telephone Exchange Inc.
Triple play External links:
Triple Play REALTOR® Convention & Trade Expo
Home page – Chadwick’s Triple Play
AT&T Triple Play Bundles & Home Phone Plans
Video conferencing External links:
HIPAA Compliant Video Conferencing for Telemental …
Virtual private network External links:
A virtual private network (VPN) is the extension of a private network that encompasses links across shared or public networks like the Internet. With a VPN, you can send data between two computers across a shared or public network in a manner that emulates a point-to-point private link. Virtual private networking is the act of creating and configuring a virtual private network.
CWRU [U]Tech Virtual Private Network
Virtual Private Network (VPN) | Argonne National Laboratory
Wavelength-division multiplexing External links:
CWDM – Course Wavelength-division multiplexing
CWDM | Wavelength-Division Multiplexing