What is involved in Category Management
Find out what the related areas are that Category Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Category Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Category Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Category Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Category Management related domains to cover and 59 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Category Management, Cash and carry, Competition Commission, Fast-moving consumer goods, Groceries Code Adjudicator, Maintenance, repair, and operations, Manufacturing resource planning, Market distortion, Point of sale, Price fixing, Private label, Retail Link, Shopper marketing, Supplier Relationship Management, Tesco plc:
Category Management Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Category Management planning and attract Category Management skills.
– Do we talk to Sales and Marketing and find out what are customer needs, what are consumer needs and what are the roadblocks?
– What instore sales drivers do you need to focus on in order to take advantage of the evolution to shopper marketing?
– Please tell me the five most important facts or insights that I should know to plan our business together?
– Would we be seen as a desirable customer and therefore be in a more powerful position?
– Do you provide your Clients with a clear escalation path for issue resolution?
– Do suppliers benefit from collaborative relationships with large retailers?
– Manage a formal Issue Tracker process with your Preferred Vendors?
– What primary strategy do you recommend for a newly presented SKU?
– Can Universities Serve as a Source of Category Management Talent?
– Which goods and services could be purchased via fewer suppliers?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– Could the supplier help with service innovation/transformation?
– Are the control points commercial, technical or physical?
– What information should be included in the O & M manual?
– What is the current shelf configuration/planogram?
– What needs to be done to overcome the weaknesses?
– How is social media changing category management?
– What do users think of the current service?
– What is a cross connection control program?
– What is the spend on this category?
Cash and carry Critical Criteria:
Model after Cash and carry management and find the essential reading for Cash and carry researchers.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Category Management project?
– How do we go about Comparing Category Management approaches/solutions?
– Which Category Management goals are the most important?
Competition Commission Critical Criteria:
Track Competition Commission goals and adjust implementation of Competition Commission.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Category Management? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Category Management project manager?
– Are there Category Management problems defined?
Fast-moving consumer goods Critical Criteria:
Guide Fast-moving consumer goods failures and acquire concise Fast-moving consumer goods education.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Category Management process?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Category Management forward?
Groceries Code Adjudicator Critical Criteria:
Judge Groceries Code Adjudicator strategies and test out new things.
– In a project to restructure Category Management outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What is the source of the strategies for Category Management strengthening and reform?
– Does Category Management appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Maintenance, repair, and operations Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Maintenance, repair, and operations tactics and find the ideas you already have.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Category Management into the services that we provide?
– Why is Category Management important for you now?
Manufacturing resource planning Critical Criteria:
Infer Manufacturing resource planning decisions and document what potential Manufacturing resource planning megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Category Management ?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Category Management requirements in detail?
– What are the usability implications of Category Management actions?
Market distortion Critical Criteria:
Categorize Market distortion tactics and display thorough understanding of the Market distortion process.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Category Management is underway?
– Is Supporting Category Management documentation required?
– What will drive Category Management change?
Point of sale Critical Criteria:
Face Point of sale goals and find the essential reading for Point of sale researchers.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Category Management objectives?
– What is our formula for success in Category Management ?
– What are internal and external Category Management relations?
Price fixing Critical Criteria:
Meet over Price fixing governance and work towards be a leading Price fixing expert.
– How do we measure improved Category Management service perception, and satisfaction?
– Is Category Management dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Are there Category Management Models?
Private label Critical Criteria:
Sort Private label visions and catalog what business benefits will Private label goals deliver if achieved.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Category Management with what users do day-to-day?
– Are accountability and ownership for Category Management clearly defined?
– How can skill-level changes improve Category Management?
Retail Link Critical Criteria:
Debate over Retail Link governance and report on developing an effective Retail Link strategy.
– Does Category Management create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Is the Category Management organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Category Management effort?
Shopper marketing Critical Criteria:
Merge Shopper marketing engagements and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Shopper marketing projects.
– Why should we adopt a Category Management framework?
– What is our Category Management Strategy?
Supplier Relationship Management Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Supplier Relationship Management goals and probe the present value of growth of Supplier Relationship Management.
– Think of your Category Management project. what are the main functions?
– What vendors make products that address the Category Management needs?
Tesco plc Critical Criteria:
Judge Tesco plc failures and oversee implementation of Tesco plc.
– What threat is Category Management addressing?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Category Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Category Management External links:
Category Management – GSA
Category Management – AbeBooks
Category Management · FAI Media Library
Cash and carry External links:
Cash and Carry Warehouse
Food Service – Cash&Carry – Cash and Carry
Home > URM Cash and Carry
Competition Commission External links:
The Competition Commission South Africa – Home | Facebook
Competition Commission of Singapore
Fast-moving consumer goods External links:
Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) Definition | Investopedia
Groceries Code Adjudicator External links:
Groceries Code Adjudicator – GOV.UK
Maintenance, repair, and operations External links:
Maintenance, Repair, and Operations | MRO Solutions | SDI
Manufacturing resource planning External links:
[PPT]9-Manufacturing Resource Planning
Market distortion External links:
World Market Distortion (WMD) – Minority Sector Indices
Market Distortion » Partnership for Open and Fair Skies
Market Distortion Definition | Investopedia
Point of sale External links:
Toast | Restaurant Point of Sale & Management System
POS System – Point of Sale for iPad and iPhone | SalesVu
Point of Sale Gift Card Service Application – Getting Started
Price fixing External links:
Price Fixing – girardgibbs.com
Private label External links:
Grafton Private Label Cosmetics – Official Site
Retail Link External links:
[PDF]Retail Link Access Request Form – walmartethics.com
Retail Link TV | Retail Link 101 – US
Welcome to Retail Link!
Shopper marketing External links:
Shopper Marketing – Fast Company
Shopper Marketing – Location Marketing | inMarket
Supplier Relationship Management External links:
Supplier Relationship Management Software | CEBOS MQ1
Supplier relationship management
http://Supplier relationship management (SRM) is the discipline of strategically planning for, and managing, all interactions with third party organizations that supply goods and/or services to an organization in order to maximize the value of those interactions.
ProPurchaser – Supplier Relationship Management & …
Tesco plc External links:
Tesco PLC. – The New York Times
TSCDY: Tesco PLC – Brokerage Reports – Zacks.com
Tesco PLC: LON:TSCO quotes & news – Google Finance