What is involved in TOGAF
Find out what the related areas are that TOGAF connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a TOGAF thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its TOGAF journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward TOGAF leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which TOGAF related domains to cover and 119 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
TOGAF, The Open Group Architecture Framework, Applications architecture, Architecture domain, Architecture framework, Association of Enterprise Architects, Business architecture, Data architecture, Dow Jones Global Titans 50, Enterprise Architecture framework, Enterprise architecture, Fortune 500, IEEE 1471, Information architecture, Jaap Schekkerman, Library of Congress Control Number, Performance engineering, Service-oriented architecture, Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management, Technical architecture, The Open Group, US Department of Defense, United States Department of Defense, Virtual International Authority File:
TOGAF Critical Criteria:
Deliberate TOGAF quality and gather practices for scaling TOGAF.
– What is the discipline for managing sole-authority data as one logical source with defined updating rules for physical data residing on different platforms?
– What are the disruptive TOGAF technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What is the physical data model definition (derived from logical data models) used to design the database?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate TOGAF delivery for example is new software needed?
– Does a massive loss of customer data necessarily imply poor engineering?
– What are the data quality requirements required by the business user?
– What software development and data management tools been selected?
– What is CEAF 2.0 and how does it support implementation of EA?
– What are the access requirements for decision support data?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– How is Lean Six Sigma different from TOGAF Architecture?
– What skills are specific to Enterprise Architect role?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– What is typical in the TOGAF approach?
– What is the desired benefit of TOGAF?
– What is an Architectural Framework?
– Why use TOGAF next to ArchiMate?
– What principles have we adopted?
– Who is accountable?
– Why IIIRM?
The Open Group Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Deliberate The Open Group Architecture Framework strategies and perfect The Open Group Architecture Framework conflict management.
– Can we do TOGAF without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What are the Key enablers to make this TOGAF move?
– How will you measure your TOGAF effectiveness?
Applications architecture Critical Criteria:
Mix Applications architecture goals and spearhead techniques for implementing Applications architecture.
– Can we add value to the current TOGAF decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Does the TOGAF task fit the clients priorities?
Architecture domain Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Architecture domain adoptions and tour deciding if Architecture domain progress is made.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent TOGAF services/products?
Architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Architecture framework goals and get the big picture.
– Think about the people you identified for your TOGAF project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect TOGAF workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What is an Architecture Framework?
– Is a TOGAF Team Work effort in place?
Association of Enterprise Architects Critical Criteria:
Examine Association of Enterprise Architects quality and secure Association of Enterprise Architects creativity.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective TOGAF leader?
– How do we measure improved TOGAF service perception, and satisfaction?
– What is the purpose of TOGAF in relation to the mission?
Business architecture Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Business architecture quality and gather Business architecture models .
– What potential environmental factors impact the TOGAF effort?
– What are internal and external TOGAF relations?
– How do we go about Securing TOGAF?
Data architecture Critical Criteria:
Merge Data architecture quality and stake your claim.
– Can we describe the data architecture and relationship between key variables. for example, are data stored in a spreadsheet with one row for each person/entity, a relational database, or some other format?
– Does your bi software work well with both centralized and decentralized data architectures and vendors?
– Do we need an enterprise data warehouse, a Data Lake, or both as part of our overall data architecture?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our TOGAF agendas for the next 3 years?
– Is there any existing TOGAF governance structure?
– Are there TOGAF Models?
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 Critical Criteria:
Examine Dow Jones Global Titans 50 decisions and probe the present value of growth of Dow Jones Global Titans 50.
– Do those selected for the TOGAF team have a good general understanding of what TOGAF is all about?
– Does TOGAF analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Enterprise Architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Examine Enterprise Architecture framework governance and check on ways to get started with Enterprise Architecture framework.
– In the case of a TOGAF project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a TOGAF project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any TOGAF project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What are our best practices for minimizing TOGAF project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the TOGAF project lifecycle?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Pilot Enterprise architecture visions and learn.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– What are the key elements of your TOGAF performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– How important is TOGAF to the user organizations mission?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
– What are current TOGAF Paradigms?
Fortune 500 Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Fortune 500 goals and adopt an insight outlook.
– When a TOGAF manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Have you identified your TOGAF key performance indicators?
IEEE 1471 Critical Criteria:
Think about IEEE 1471 engagements and find out what it really means.
– For your TOGAF project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a TOGAF study?
Information architecture Critical Criteria:
Dissect Information architecture goals and optimize Information architecture leadership as a key to advancement.
– What sorts of information do users need and expect to be provided as they review search results?
– So how does it get done in the non-Web world, and can we learn anything from it?
– Has anyone ever done any user testing to verify if it s a good format/approach?
– Does the size of your site suggest that users will get huge retrieval results?
– How much information should be displayed for each retrieved document?
– What information should be displayed for each retrieved document?
– Are there any information policies that should be followed?
– Do users pay attention to and interact with URL paths?
– Are there other audiences we are not thinking about?
– When should a new level in the hierarchy be added?
– How many retrieved documents should be displayed?
– Is social media a better investment than SEO?
– What pieces of content does the site need?
– Metadata; is there a metadata strategy?
– What could the W3C add in this arena?
– How do users see the information?
– Can any content be consolidated?
– Image Search: What is the task?
– How to measure Web usability?
– What can you afford?
Jaap Schekkerman Critical Criteria:
See the value of Jaap Schekkerman goals and get the big picture.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of TOGAF product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing TOGAF?
– Does our organization need more TOGAF education?
Library of Congress Control Number Critical Criteria:
Apply Library of Congress Control Number tasks and be persistent.
– What is the total cost related to deploying TOGAF, including any consulting or professional services?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of TOGAF that make it risky?
Performance engineering Critical Criteria:
Group Performance engineering results and question.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a TOGAF project?
– How do we go about Comparing TOGAF approaches/solutions?
Service-oriented architecture Critical Criteria:
Consult on Service-oriented architecture management and be persistent.
– what is the best design framework for TOGAF organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting TOGAF with what users do day-to-day?
– What are specific TOGAF Rules to follow?
Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management Critical Criteria:
Participate in Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management quality and explore and align the progress in Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of TOGAF?
Technical architecture Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Technical architecture tasks and observe effective Technical architecture.
– In what ways are TOGAF vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Which TOGAF goals are the most important?
The Open Group Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on The Open Group strategies and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive The Open Group decisions.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these TOGAF processes?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations TOGAF values?
– How can we improve TOGAF?
US Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Grade US Department of Defense projects and ask questions.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if TOGAF does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in TOGAF?
United States Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Own United States Department of Defense outcomes and report on developing an effective United States Department of Defense strategy.
– Will TOGAF have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How can you negotiate TOGAF successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Virtual International Authority File Critical Criteria:
Jump start Virtual International Authority File planning and check on ways to get started with Virtual International Authority File.
– Who will provide the final approval of TOGAF deliverables?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the TOGAF Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
TOGAF External links:
TOGAF 9.1 Definitions Flashcards | Quizlet
Is TOGAF Certification Worth It? – Insights & Advice for Tech
TOGAF® Version 9.1 – The Open Group
The Open Group Architecture Framework External links:
The Open Group Architecture Framework Tutorials | TOGAF
The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) – Core …
[PDF]The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) and …
Applications architecture External links:
Enterprise Java Applications Architecture on VMware
Architecture framework External links:
[PDF]C4ISR Architecture Framework Version 2 – AFCEA
Association of Enterprise Architects External links:
Starting an AEA Chapter – Association of Enterprise Architects
globalaea.org – Association of Enterprise Architects
ASSOCIATION OF ENTERPRISE ARCHITECTS – …
Business architecture External links:
Capstera Business Architecture Software
Business Architecture Center of Excellence
Data architecture External links:
Certica Solutions: K-12 Cloud Platform and Data Architecture
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 External links:
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 Index – investopedia.com
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 Index (USD) – S&P Dow Jones …
Enterprise Architecture framework External links:
Enterprise Architecture Framework – EA Masterclass
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture – EA – Gartner IT Glossary
Fortune 500 External links:
Fortune 500 Companies 2017: Who Made the List
IEEE 1471 External links:
http://IEEE 1471 is a superseded IEEE Standard for describing the architecture of a “software-intensive system”, also known as software architecture. In 2011 it was superseded by ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010:2011, Systems and software engineering — Architecture description.
IEEE 1471 – SEBoK – Systems engineering
[PDF]ANSI/IEEE 1471 and Systems Engineering – MIT
Information architecture External links:
Information Architecture – AbeBooks
Information Architecture | Webtools
Information Architecture | The Understanding Group
Library of Congress Control Number External links:
Library of Congress Control Number – iUniverse
AuthorHouse – Library of Congress Control Number
Library of Congress Control Number – Balboa Press
Performance engineering External links:
New Products – K R Performance Engineering
New Products – Pacific Performance Engineering
Home – Korkar Performance Engineering
Service-oriented architecture External links:
Service-Oriented Architecture Summary | Accenture
Microservices vs. Service-Oriented Architecture – NGINX
Understanding Service-Oriented Architecture
Technical architecture External links:
Technical Architecture | Insite Software
DPW Technical Architecture v1.4 | dpw
Technical Architecture – Business Intelligence
The Open Group External links:
The Open Group Professional Certifications – Pearson VUE
The Open Group Library
The Open Group Login
US Department of Defense External links:
US Department of Defense/DHA | Project ECHO
United States Department of Defense External links:
[PDF]United States Department of Defense (DoD) DoD …
United States Department of Defense (defense.gov)
United States Department of Defense – Official Site
Virtual International Authority File External links:
ERIC – A Virtual International Authority File., 2001-Aug